Speak with Those Who Understand Your Position
What is V2V?
- The transition from military service to civilian life can be challenging. The Vet-2-Vet Peer Mentor Program (V2V) seeks to address these challenges by mobilizing existing strengths identified in the veteran community through the facilitation of mentoring relationship.
- Peer connection is noted as one of the most important predictors for student veteran outcomes and is directly related to academic and personal success. V2V views mentoring as the vehicle for developing supportive peer connections, in hopes of providing additional transitional support with the express purpose of increasing positive personal outcomes for veterans, service members and their family members.
V2V at A Glance
- Vet-2-Vet's mission is to provide quality peer support for veterans, service members and family members as they transition to college life.
"Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others" -- Jack Welch
What Does a V2V Mentor Do?
- A V2V Peer Mentor's primary goal is to develop a trusting, helpful relationship that will assist incoming student veterans, service members, and their families navigate the challenges associated with the first year of college. Peer Mentors actively contribute to their Mentee's growth, development, and sense of belonging by providing academic and personal support and guidance.
- Share what you know: By sharing your strategy for success with your Mentee you have the opportunity to give back to your fellow veterans.
- Enhance your skills: Mentoring provides an opportunity to strengthen your existing leadership skills, contributing to your personal and professional growth.
- Build your resume: Mentoring demonstrates your ability to lead, contributing to career competitiveness.
- Create a legacy: Mentoring is an opportunity to have a positive and lasting impact on your Mentee, and the student veteran community at large.
- Passion to contribute to another's development
- Enrolled at UNM: successfully completed 1 year @ UNM
- GPA 2.5+
- Student Veteran or Military Service Member
- Attend monthly development workshops
- Personal guidance and friendship during your first year at UNM
- The opportunity to learn strategies from an established UNM student veteran
- Information about academic and community resources and activities
- Career focus exploration and guidance
- Opportunities to become a 2nd year Mentor with V2V
- Enrolled at UNM
- Student Veteran Military Service Member
- Attend required workshops/training
- Meet with mentor weekly