Peer Advisors for Veteran Education (PAVE) What is PAVE?
- Peer Advisors for Veteran Education (PAVE) Program is a peer support program that connects incoming student veterans with student veterans already on campus. It is administered by the Veteran & Military Resource Center (VMRC)
What is the purpose of PAVE?
- To help studentveterans and dependents navigate college life, identify challenges they are facing, refer them to the appropriate resource on or off campus, and provide ongoing support to their academic and personal goals, ease their transition from military to civilian and/or academic life.
- PAVE was started in 2020 with 1 Team Leader, 2 Peer Advisors assisting 10 student veterans. We now have 2 Team Leaders, 5 Peer Advisors who assist over 200 military affiliated students.
How does it work?
- "Seasoned" student veterans and/ or dependents (i.e. mentors) are matched with incoming student veterans and/or dependents (i.e. mentees/proteges) already on campus in order to help them navigate college life, identify challenges they face, refer them to appropriate resources on or off campus, and provide ongoing support toward their academic and personal goals.
- "Soft Skill" Development- opportunity to develop/enhance skills in effective communication (e.g. developing rapport, active listening, providing/ receiving feedback, etc.)
- Knowledge Sharing- chance to share knowledge regarding your major and career aspirations, effective study habits, school/community resources, social activities, etc.
- Instrinsic Satisfaction- gained through acting as a guide, coach, and/or resource person
- Resume Building - mentoring demonstrates the effectiveness of your soft skills and ability to share knowledge, which are qualities highly in demand by employers
- Tradition - as a PAVE peer advisor you become part of a UNM Tradition for the student veteran community; and your mentee/protege may become a future mentor
- Passion to contribute to another's development
- Enrolled at UNM: successfully completed 1 year @ UNM
- GPA 2.5+
- Military affiliated (active duty, veteran, dependent, etc.)
- Complete Training
- Attend monthly development workshops
- Easy access to an experienced UNM student veteran, who has "been there"
- Personalized guidance, encouragement, and camaraderie during first year at UNM to ease the transition from military to civilian/ academic life
- Assistance with reaching your academic, social--and ultimately--professional goals
- Not having to "go it alone" during your time at UNM
- Skill development that could lead to you becoming a future PAVE Peer Advisor
- Enrolled at UNM
- Student Veteran, Military Service Member or dependent
- Attend required workshops/training
- Meet with mentor throughout the semester
Interested in being a PAVE Peer Advisor? Click on link below ↓
Please completely fill out form and send to Jessie Preciado- firstname.lastname@example.org