An Important Tool for Guidance
The University of New Mexico (UNM) and the United States Department of Veterans Affairs have joined together in a collaborative effort to assist Veteran-students in making a smooth transition to college life with a view to academic and vocational success.
This program provides an experienced Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor directly on campus working with the Veterans Resource Center to assist and support Veteran students and their eligible family members.
Our VetSuccess Counselor on Campus Can Assist You
- Information on VA education benefits such as Post 911 GI Bill, Chapters 30,32, & 35
- Exploring Vacations and selecting a suitable major/career along with finding job placement assistance and coordinating with Local Veterans' Employment Representatives (LVER) and Disabled Veterans' Outreach Programs (DVOP)
- Electing your healthcare benefits with Veterans Healthcare Administration
- Accessing, understanding and applying for VA benefits(e.g., Disability Compensation, Life Insurance Home Loan Guaranty, and Vocational Rehabilitation
- Receiving referrals for medical and health care
- Receiving referrals for readjustment counseling services for eligible veterans and their families
- Coordinating with school faculty/staff to provide veteran specific services (e.g., VA certifying Official, Career Center, Student Disabilities Services, Counseling Center)
- Locating community and other resources
Chapter 36 Information
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Education and Career Counseling program (Title 38 U.S.C. Chapter 36) offers qualifying Servicemembers, Veterans, and Dependents personalized counseling to ensure the most effective use of VA benefits in order to achieve their career goals.
Who is Eligible?
• Any Servicemember, Veteran, or Dependent who is eligible for a VA education benefit
• Transitioning Servicemembers within six months prior to discharge from active duty
• Veterans within one year following discharge from active duty
What Services are Included?
• Career guidance based on exploring your interests, aptitudes, and possible occupations
• Academic and/or adjustment counseling to overcome barriers to success
• Guidance on the effective use of VA benefits and/or other resources to achieve your education and career goals
How to Apply?
Please apply via this form or eBenefits (click “Education Benefits” under “Apply” on the homepage). You will be contacted after we receive your application and scheduled a meeting with one of our counselors. For additional questions, please contact Chris Mulvihill (505-277-1596) at UNM’s Veterans Resource Center, or call the nationwide toll free number (1-800-827-1000). The hearing impaired can contact us at 1-800-829-4833.